Did you know that on average three Australian women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer every day in Australia? That 1 in 90 women will develop ovarian cancer in her lifetime? That ovarian cancer is referred to as the “silent killer” because often there are no symptoms until the disease is well advanced?
You can help raise awareness and raise funds for ovarian cancer by supporting the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation by wearing a white shirt on 19 May 2012, OCRF White Shirt Day. Any style, any brand – just make sure it’s white!
Here are some fundraising tips if you really want to get behind the cause, direct from the OCRF website:
- White Treats Morning Tea. Whilst wearing your white shirt, you can enjoy some white treats for a gold coin donation.
- White Shirt Day. Your organisation, school or club could nominate a day where everyone wears a white shirt for a gold coin donation.
- White Cycle. If you enjoy a bike ride with friends, why not turn it into a white cycle event, wear a white t-shirt and make a small donation.
- Bowls in White. Gather your friends for a day of lawn bowls. Don the traditional white shirts, have a BBQ and gather donations.
- Market in White. A market stall is a great way to clean out your wardrobe. Sell your unwanted treasures with proceeds being donated.
- Chefs Whites. Be a masterchef! Host a cooking class or dinner party. Don those Chef Whites and take a donation from family and friends.
Click here for more information about White Shirt Day 2012 and details on how to share your fundraising efforts and where to send the money you’ve raised.
Another way to raise money and awareness for OCRF is to pop into Witchery and buy yourself something from the White Shirt Collection. 100% of the gross profit from the sale of the White Shirt collection, and $5 from the sale of every Silver Gift item, goes directly to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation.
Andrea from Fox in Flats has been personally touched by the horrors of ovarian cancer and it is a cause close to her heart. You can check out gorgeous photos of her and her boys modelling some of the collection here.
I am a big fan of classic dressing but I just do not like white shirts. They feature on every list of essential wardrobe items but they do not suit my colouring or my figure. However, I adore the White Shirt Campaign, so I’ve always purchased a Silver Gift jewellery item every year. This year, Witchery have got girls like me covered!
Look at this lovely OCRF Feather Print top. I styled mine with a fitted jacket and wide legged pants for the office, and have worn it over my Seed Femme condom dress with a drapey cardigan and ballets for a smart casual look. It also looks great with skinny jeans and a long sleeved tee underneath in a contrasting colour. I chose a cobalt blue tee and pink Converse hi tops.
I’m getting behind OCRF White Shirt Day on 19 May – I’d love for you to join me!