Every year, we eagerly look forward to the festive season and one of our favourite family traditions is the advent calendar. Not just the chocolate, but the act of counting down each and every sleep until Santa Claus pays us a visit.
Inspired by a fabulous nail polish advent calendar for big girls I found on Sephora’s Instagram account, I decided to investigate making my own DIY advent calendar.
Unfortunately, as I have little to no crafting talent and can barely manage to sew a button on, most of the ideas I found on Pinterest are far out of my reach. Check out my Kimba Likes Christmas Pinterest board for inspiration.
But I’ve found a few ideas that even I can manage. I call it craft for non-crafters!
DIY Advent Calendar ideas
This very simple idea I found on Pinterest from No Gr8er Love involves decorated luggage tags with a Bible verse for every day of the advent. If this isn’t your thing, like me, you could adapt this idea for a special treat. Ideas that would work well in our house would include pancakes for breakfast, being allowed to read an extra chapter at bedtime, a hot chocolate with marshmallows, a banana split for dessert … the list goes on!
Each luggage tag could relate to a Christmas story or Christmas song to be read or sung every night at bedtime.
I love the idea of the family sitting down to decorate these – with just simple drawings or the elaborate contents of well stocked craft box.
Another very simple idea, found on Modern Parents Messy Kids, and just perfect for fellow crafters with no crafting skills like me! You just need 24 little receptacles able to be decorated with a number. I think little noodle boxes would be just adorable. Hit up your local $2 discount emporium for lots of ideas. Perhaps envelopes, little gauze bags, even 24 little stockings!
Attach them to a length of ribbon or craft twine with pretty ribbon or quirky clothes pegs or just simply knot them in sequence. If you’re not lucky enough to have a mantlepiece, perhaps you could hang them on a doorjamb. Alternatively, you could stack them in a pretty box or basket.
Or you could do what I’m going to do and buy yourself one of these ready made gorgeous wooden advent calendars, with 24 adorable little drawers, for $30 from Target.
Isn’t it just lovely!
DIY Advent Calendar content ideas
Now that you’ve got your new family tradition underway with one of these lovely DIY Advent Calendar ideas – believe me, there are many, many more DIY and purchase options available – you’re going to need to a little something for each day of Advent.
- Sweets, chocolates, lollies
- Little toys such as LEGO characters, Matchbox cars, Barbie shoes, Trash Packs, finger puppets …
- Beauty items such as lipgloss, mini nail polish, nail files
- 24 very silly jokes
- 24 funny family memories from the year – each family member could write their own
- Fripperies like jewellery, hair pins, hair bobbles …
- Coupons redeemable for fun items like an extra story at bedtime, chocolate milk at breakfast, after school ice cream, family movie night …
- Luggage tags with the name of a Christmas song to be sung every day or a Christmas tale to be read every night
- Stationery items like quirky erasers, coloured pens, washi tape, shaped rubber bands …
- Craft items like glitter glue, pom poms, buttons, beads, stick on eyes …
- Christmas ornaments or decorations
- Homemade biscuits – or a cookie cutter and recipe to make them together
- A treasure hunt map
Kimba Likes Image Credits:
- Kimba’s images copyright Kim-Marie Williams
- Ciate nail polish advent calendar image from Sephora
- DIY Advent Calendar from No Gr8er Love
- DIY Advent Calendar from Modern Parents Messy Kids
- Wooden Advent Calendar from Target
Kimba Likes Keeping it Real Policy:
- Click here to read the Kimba Likes Keeping it Real Policy
- Click here to read the Kimba Likes Affiliate Policy – I may earn commission if you choose to click on affiliate links. Thank you if you do choose to do so.
- Click here to read about Kimba Likes Shopping Links
- I was not remunerated in any way, shape or form for this post.
- You can trust Kimba Likes to keep it real. Just how I roll, baby.